Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Magic Strikes

May 30, 13

bookshelves: audio, favourites
Read from April 01 to 09, 2013

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Kate Daniels books are always eventful but Magic Strikes is in a league of its own when it comes to Urban Fantasy action. I felt like I was climbing that intensely steep roller coaster incline. You know the one: “oh crap, shiiiit, omg… AAHH”. The first nine hours of this audio are scene after scene of off-the-wall action and the final 51 minutes come together spectacularly for that final drop a.k.a Chapter 28! I highly recommended this book *period*.

There’s definitely a lot to take in this third time around. We learn more about Kate and Curran which I loved. Daniels’ true purpose is finally revealed after two full books of frustratingly cryptic hints and speculation but I’m still not entirely sure what it all means. She and the Beast Lord make a ridiculous bet that can only end in disaster but admittedly, the fallout is wildly entertaining to witness. It also helped ensure that Kate and Curran were never far from each other which is guaranteed fun no matter how you look at it!

Curran proves that he’s more than just a pretty face by demonstrating on several occasions that he is indeed just as cunning as he is powerful. His actions as alpha surprised me at times and made his character even more interesting. Yes he rules with an iron fist yet he’s not unjust and not only does he follow Pack Law to the letter but, he can also quote it verbatim as he clearly demonstrates when he finally catches up with Kate, Jim, Raphael and Derek. Another highly memorable scene; this book has so many of them!

I’m not sure if this is a spoiler but I spent a large portion of this book wondering who the heck this Roland is. He’s first introduced as “the most powerful man in the world” but I feel like I’m missing something. Then again, I often have that feeling when reading one of Andrews’ books so it’s hard to say for sure. Their world is so complex that I often find myself getting lost in it which is also one of the reasons why I keep coming back for more!

The fabulous Renée Raudman continues to excel as the narrator of this series. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to “read” another Kate Daniels book again! Time to move on to Magic Bleeds; I’m impatient for Curran to collect on their bet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Strikes.

Quotes Carmel (Rabid Reads) Liked

Ilona Andrews
“I gave him a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit farther from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Strikes

Ilona Andrews
“Just reflecting on the fact that when the Universe punches you in the teeth, it never just lets you fall down. It kicks you in the ribs a couple of times and dumps mud on your head.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Strikes

04/03/2013
46.0% "Whoa! A whole bunch of stuff just happened. I need to let it soak in before I continue."
04/08/2013