Sean Cronin's Reviews > Vision

Vision by Beth Elisa Harris

Sep 08, 11

Recommended for: Yes
Read on January 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

"Vision" - Young Adult - gets five of five starts because it reminded me of what a teenage crush feels like. It's been many years since I was a teenager. But Harris' writing took me back.
I'm a male and Layla Stone, the protagonist is a sixteen year old girl. Still it seems there is some similarity between the genders. Maybe Harris has captured a small,lovely human truth.
Here's Layla upon meeting the "gorgeous" and somewhat mysterious seventeen year old, Stuart. (I was)
"dizzy with discomfort, embarrassed for feeling so giddy, my stomach was doing synchronized double back flips...My throat closed up and the room felt hot...Pull it together."
Layered over this hormonally based issue is another: Layla Stone can 'hear' other people's thoughts. At least she could until she moved from her home in Seattle to a school in London. In London her gift of 'hearing' falters.
At first there is no discernible pattern among the people she can and can't 'read.' But boys seem unreadable (psychically and in the more earthy way, 'does he like me?'). But as the story moves, it's clear certain boys can block her psychic intrusions and these boys seem - if only by desire for her -
But the book doesn't stay in the cute (to an adult) adolescent traumas. Layla and Stewart run into some very serious international criminals, an ancient malevolent order and past lives.
This is an adventure story, no matter how adorable the protagonists. Kudos to Harris. She maintains the teenage sweetness a Layla is dragged into a world of thugs, spies and geo-political conspiracy.
Can't wait for the sequels.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision.