Kylie Crucifixion's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

1972637
Sep 10, 11

Read from September 07 to 10, 2011

I really thoroughly enjoyed this. Okay, so I may have rated this book lower because it had SO MANY FLAWS if it weren't for the redeeming original plot line that was so refreshing in a slew of cliche and all the same vampire novels. So yes, I definitely recommend this if you are tired of or a fan of vampires but want something original and fresh.

HOWEVER, there are several flaws. First off, the religion thing. Everyone is entitled to their religion. INCLUDING the "People of Faith" as this book obviously names Christians. Honestly, growing up in a strict home like in this book I understand that many Christians hate vampires and understand that Zoey's parents wouldn't accept her for becoming a vampire--excuse me, vampyre. That being said, I found Zoey's hatred for the "People of Faith" and blatant disrespect quite offensive. Because the religion of believing in Nyx as your goddess is the only right one and anything else deserves to be hated on and disrespected, of course.

I also think that each fledgling vampyre should not have a crescent moon on their forehead, but a different Mark that symbolizes them more. I don't know, like some have a flower or a heart or just a weird twisty symbol or something. That would make the vampyres a LOT more interesting than a plain ol' moon on all of them.

And the spelling errors, oh God. I'm not talking about vampyre. I'm talking words like brunette, etc. being misspelled. Is that not what an editor is for? Even I, a teenager, a writer but not an editor have WAY better spelling and grammar skills than the casts.

Aside from Zoey's disrespectful attitude, I found her likable as a heroine, and even more so because, of course, hoes like Aphrodite deserve to be knocked down a notch.

I would also recommend this book to fans of the "Blue Is For Nightmares" series, because to me all the rituals reminded me soooo much of Stacey's Wiccan ways (I am convinced these are Wiccan vampires, by the way. Their whole religion is so obviously based on Wicca and the People of Faith are Christians. And yes, just because I'm a Christian doesn't make me uneducated about other religions).

This book was very good when I overlooked the flaws and some points I didn't want to put it down. Definitely loving this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

06/03/2009 page 41