Moira Fogarty's Reviews > Catering to Nobody

Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

Oct 10, 11

Read from October 04 to 10, 2011

This was my second Goldy mystery and once again I liked it more than I expected to. They have a really comforting, weirdly feminist feel to them. These are not really English country-house murders, they follow a trajectory that is more hard-boiled American style. Goldy, the gumshoe sleuth, keeps getting problem after problem heaped onto her, has a mixed-bag love/hate relationship with the police, and uses a lot of ill-advised, blustery investigation techniques that are neither safe nor fully legal. Somehow I still enjoy seeing things through her jaded, worried, food-obsessed lenses. Her description of women in her aerobics class as different types of pasta has the flavor of a Cathy cartoon, but fits in with the richly descriptive passages about life in Colorado and the joys of her kitchen. I love how fearless Diane Mott Davidson is with tackling subjects that often fail to make it into escapist genre fiction: domestic abuse, alcohol addiction, rape, the trials of mothering a nerdy kid, struggles with weight control, bitchiness and general blasé fears about making ends meet, paying bills, cleaning the house. She writes beautifully about the mundane, and that I think is what elevates her stories from amateur to addictive. They are a story of personal growth on a human scale. Of large failures and small successes. They are fun to read. Try one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catering to Nobody.

10/04/2011 page 21