Jack's Reviews > Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives

Zoo Story by Thomas French

Sep 20, 11

Read from September 07 to 18, 2011

As the author points out, this is the non-fiction version of Life of Pi's Act One. French immerses himself in daily life at a major U.S. zoo, detailing the unique life and times of its animals and human characters. Along the way he offers a real, unpolarized view of the ethics of all zoos through the lens of a journalist and storyteller. I enjoyed French's excellent observational storytelling and talent for shifting from tales of everyday animal craziness to philosophical views about our relationship with animals.

Zoos are a type of paradox - Like Martel in Life of Pi, French contrasts the "freedoms" offered to animals in the wild with those offered in the zoo. The truth is surprising; like many complex issues, there are no simple answers. Having followed the saga of this particular zoo as it played out in the media, I appreciated this more in-depth look that escapes the sound bite-driven news cycle and gives the topic proper analysis. An interesting book for anyone looking to further explore the ethics behind these fascinating institutions.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zoo Story.