Shannon Kitchens's Reviews > Hourglass

Sep 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read from September 07 to 16, 2011

Interesting in concept. Excellent voice. A bit too much stale romance for me.

Hourglass is the story of Emerson "Em" who learns she has the rare ability to travel to the past. This ability comes with loads of emotional baggage - and a possible future time traveling beau. Now she must use her new found abilities to help change time and save lives.

The voices in this book is excellent. There is some great humor and dialog. The story moves entirely too slow for my tastes spending 250 or so pages floundering about a love triangle that doesn't really seem like a love triangle or necessary....Both Micheal and Kaleb, members of hourglass, one a future time traveler, one an empath, fall instantly in love with Em. Ok, I'll buy Micheal. They compliment each other - there seems to be some bond between them. I'll go with that. Kaleb? Why? There's no need for a triangle in the book! (I blame you Twilight for this.)

And the romance takes up so much of this book, and I wasn't expecting that. I was a little peeved by it because I felt it was halting the plot.

But, as far as teen romances go, it was a pleasant read. I rank it high for that genre. But for me, just didn't do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

09/07/2011 page 106