Jonathan's Reviews > 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001 by Arthur C. Clarke

M 50x66
Sep 07, 11

Read in October, 2010

No one can deny the fame of 2001: A space odyssey. Its movie counterpart has granted it immortality in the realm of science fiction. Personally, this book was not that great for me. I enjoyed the beginning chapter where it explains the origin of the obelisks, but from there, it goes a bit downhill. It is a rather forgettable experience, all in all. If it had not been for the movie, I would have simply said, "What on earth?" and wandered off to find some Asimov. The story becomes progressively nonsensical, with Dave eventually turning into a cosmic space baby after falling through a worm hole of sorts.
Now, up to this, I've been rather negative. The book did have its redeeming qualities, such as the excellent ape-men section at the beginning. Now that, I enjoyed. It was reminiscent of some of H.G. Wells stories, which made me a fan. The story was undeniably creative, it just becaame a bit too fantastical near the end. I would barely even call it sci-fi, just by the ending. All in all, it's worth a read, but not an excellent work.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2001.