The Literary Bystander's Reviews > The Coven

The Coven by Cate Tiernan

May 22, 14

Read from September 07 to 08, 2011

The Coven, which is the second book in the series - is really about Morgan learning more about her witch heritage, and her uninspiring and disgustingly sappy relationship with Cal. Personally this was my least favourite book out of the series so far.

One the subplots that I wanted Cate Tiernan to pick up was the aftermath of Bree and Morgan falling out. I did like that we do get to see glimpse of them actually looking sorry for their actions, and there is an implication of possible forgiveness and reconcilation - hopefully much sooner than I expect.

I did enjoy reading about the backstory of Maeve Riodan (view spoiler) and the information with the Wiccan clans - but what I didn't like was how poorly integrated they were, which made them feel mismatched with the rest of the story (a good example of this is Melina Marchetta's On The Jellicoe Road which I recommend to everyone. Or else).

There's less talk of magic, and more of a self-discovery journey for Morgan, who I felt became more of a nuisance in this book. There's a secret unfolded, and the very brash, confronting way she went about it to her family was very discomforting and annoying to read. At first, I could understand why she was feeling this; but the way it kept getting repeated and her treatment of her parents, while it could be probable with how teenagers would act - I just felt that Morgan was coming off as some ungrateful, self-entitled and even cold to some degree. I thought Morgan was someone who'd be more level headed and mature about this.

As this book only take weeks after the event sof the first book, almost everyone (aside from a select few) else stayed the same and just stay in the same caricatures as they were in the beginning of Book of Shadows.

I may be bias, but I never liked Raven's character, and her more blatant display of contempt just made me believe she was an early prototype for Haven (Evermore). Adding this to Bree's behaviour whenever they encounter Morgan just made me think they were some clone version of Haven/Ever in my head. Although Bree is the arguably more fleshed out and sympathetic one out of the pair.

The romance between Morgan and Cal was the weakest point of the story. I felt that they both lack any chemistry or substance to make me believe that their relationship could work. It just felt very dry, forced awkward and unrealistic at best.

I gave this 2/5 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coven.

09/07/2011 page 63
09/07/2011 page 93
50.0% "Good God. It looks like Raven + Bree = clone copies of Haven + Ever. "