Joe's Reviews > The City and the Stars

The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke

Apr 21, 2008

bookshelves: science-fiction

I can't believe I read this book when I was 10. I think it was possibly responsible for me thinking that religions were nothing more than historical fads. Also, I remember it was a huge inspiration for me and I think it must have inspired the writers of Logan's Run, which had basically the same premise. A sad look at humanity billions of years from now, barely ekeing out an existence on a mostly desert Earth. God, I can't believe how much of this book I still remember! It was filled with freaky ass shit and giant impossible technologies. I'm actually a lot surprise it didn't fuck me up more than it did. There's one freaky scene where they are in the mountains of the last valley on Earth, and there's some weirdass monster that used to be a human being...it was sort of like that thing that Chet turned into in Weird Science. Which I didn't see until much later because my mother thought it would warp my mind. If only she had any clue the kind of depraved crap science fiction I was reading at the time.

Yes, I am rambling. Deal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City and the Stars.