Ann's Reviews > Still Waters

Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Nov 20, 11

Read from November 14 to 15, 2011

I read this book in one sitting. About 3/4 way through, I REALLY couldn't stop reading. It got very creepy and I was definitely on the edge of my seat. It wasn't that it was that scary, but it was so creepy because it was so real!

Hannah is in love with her boyfriend Colin, but she just can't say those three words for some reason. He's leaving for college soon, so Hannah plans a trip to the lake house Colin went to as a child without telling him. Colin would rather not ever go back to that lake house, although he isn't sure what it is that he doesn't like about it. Some things were a little off once this trip started. The roads to this lake house weren't even on a map. The house appears as if someone has been living there, but nobody has been there since Colin was last there. When they try to find a town that is supposed to be less than 10 miles away, they drive many more miles than planned. They go to a little diner for breakfast. Colin later finds a newspaper clipping of his dead brother eating at that diner, dated AFTER he died. That is the beginning of everything.

Hannah seems like a nice enough girl. She doesn't do anything wrong, until she lied to her mom about this trip. She wants to make Colin happy, and she really does seem to love him even though she can't tell him so. Colin has told her he loves her a couple of times. When he says it the second time, Hannah still can't say it back. And then he said he was sorry for saying it and that he thought she was ready. They sound like they have a nice enough relationship, but who knows where it could go with Colin going off to college and Hannah still being in high school.

This was a nice short story. It was an easy read. I love the cover and the letter size/font is great (I am picky!). It definitely could have been developed into a big long story, but I kind of liked having a short story without so many details. It gave me more room to develop details myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Waters.