Liz Ballif's Reviews > Then Again, Maybe I Won't

Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: engl-420
Read on September 07, 2011

This book made me feel uncomfortable. But then I realized that was part of what made Judy Blume as an author successful during the 1970s. She wrote about issues that tended to be swept under the rug by the culture (and in fact, still are a bit). Then Again, Maybe I Won't is a realistic fiction novel that tells the story of Tony Miglione as his family goes from lower middle class to more upper class. I thought some of the issues it brought up (selling out, girls, friendship,and shoplifting) are real things that sometimes get ignored in relation to the age group of young adults. I think my favorite part of this novel was when Tony's mom says something like "He's a 13-year-old boy; he doesn't have any problems!" Overall, it wasn't my favorite because I wasn't the most comfortable with some of the issues presented, but I don't think I'd ban it from young adults. I do think that the issues in the book are issues that real young adults face, and this book could be a good starting point for a discussion about those sorts of things.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again, Maybe I Won't.