Rachel's Reviews > The Secret to Lying

The Secret to Lying by Todd Mitchell

6191334
Nov 09, 11

Read from November 03 to 09, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This hit close to home for me, which made it uncomfortable to read at times but always compelling. I identify with the struggle to reinvent myself as a teenager and with the alienation from parents, administrators, and peers. Twenty years on, I can laugh at some of my more outrageous shenanigans or outright lies and still reel with guilt from the memories of others.

I also wonder whether my life would be very different if I had stronger mental health support in high school, or whether my own path was just as valid a way through that messy upheaval. I like the use of "katabasis" for that journey. I am not sure that a proper psychiatric diagnosis would have been something I could handle at 16 or would just have been something else to rebel against. I do wish that therapy was more widely understood, available, and "normal" - maybe something we all could try as young adults whether or not we are in acute distress.

I do know that like James I came to highly value the community of my peers and teachers, even those I did not know well, and reading about this parallel experience to my own has strengthened that value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret to Lying.