David's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in September, 2011

Amazon's recommendation system was unusually persistent in showing me this book, enough that I eventually read the reviews, which were mostly pretty good. Several reviewers favorably compared the book to Butcher's Dresden files, and that was enough to sell me on it. The basic premise: Atticus (not his original name) is a two-millenium-old Irish druid, last of his kind, hanging out in Arizona and running an occult bookstore. He picked Arizona for the lack of faeries and gods and avoiding the notice of an old enemy from the Irish pantheon. And then the Irish pantheon starts showing up at his door...

The whole thing is highly entertaining and quite well done. Some high points:

1. Oberon the Irish wolfhound. It's hard here to avoid making comparisons to the Dresden books; but unlike Mouse, Oberon is (a) not magical in his own right, and (b) capable of speech. And his speech is just what I would imagine a dog would sound like, if he could talk. He might just be my favorite character from the book.

2. Mrs. McDonnell, the feisty old Irish woman whose yard Atticus cleans. She's a terrific secondary character; I hope to see more of her in the sequel.

3. Atticus's lawyers are a werewolf and a vampire. I think they spend about as much time wreaking havoc on various legal attacks on Atticus as they do helping him out in more conventional pointy-object battles.

I'm not sure that I liked this better than all the Dresden file books, but I certainly enjoyed it more than Ghost Story. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.