Nazia Ahmed's Reviews > Shimmy with My Granny

Sep 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classroom
Read on September 07, 2011 , read count: 2

This book has a collection of twenty-nine poems from a number of different authors. A wide range of areas about family life are put together quite well which range from tears and anger to laughter and happiness. Themes included relationships and people in the family, adoption, death as well as others.

There are poems that I found very humorous, such as ‘Getting rid of my Sister’ by Lindsay Macrae. Having a younger sibling myself, I could totally relate to the feelings portrayed! It shows how it can be ‘normal’ to be slightly jealous of your younger sibling in a laughable way and one way to deal with the issue!

I absolutely loved ‘My little Brother’ by Pat Hutchins. This is a short poem about an older sister who doesn’t like minding her younger brother just because she is older. The poem goes on to illustrate how when a distressful situation arises, her mindful and protective nature automatically surfaces.

The poem that stood out for me the most was an acrostic poem called ‘Divorce’ by Vivian French. I felt it was such a simple yet very powerful poem. I was very touched by it. It illustrates the problems faced, the emotions felt and finally the solutions to the problems. I loved the fact the poem ended positively and it wasn’t all doom and gloom.

The only little problem I had with the book is that I do feel the book should have had more pages, so that the poems and pictures could be more spread out, as I felt that it wasn’t the best use of the pictures and poems working together to educate. Some pages seemed overcrowded with too many poems and illustrations. Having said that, this book has lots of colour, lots of illustrations and rhymes, making it a relatively easy read for children aged between 5 to 8 years old.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shimmy with My Granny.