Tyler Dykema's Reviews > One Day It'll All Make Sense

One Day It'll All Make Sense by Common

Feb 21, 14

Recommended to Tyler by: Fan of Common's previous work
Recommended for: Common fans, fans of inspirational stories, fans of spiritual stories
Read from December 26, 2011 to March 23, 2012 — I own a copy

It took me way to long to read this book, but at least in part, it was my own fault. I did find myself a little bored after about the first third of the book due to the fact that sometimes Common tends to get off subject. But by the end of the book I was wholeheartedly into it as it gains more focus as it moves along.

Common paints vivid pictures in a vignette style memoir where each chapter marks a different stage in his life. He uses a series of letters written to different influential figures he's come across to set up the tone and storyline of each individual chapter. His mother also has interjections throughout the book that serve as a sort of response to what Common has written so far. She often delves into her thoughts and feelings that she experienced during the times Common writes about, which really gives the reader a fuller understanding of their story. I thought this was a very unique way to write a memoir, along with the chapter titles which are taken directly from Common's song titles. The inclusion of song lyrics throughout the book with brief explanation also are great for big Common fans as myself.

Overall, it took some time to get into and sometimes feels as though the story is wandering, but by the end it really is done well and with original ideas to help keep the reader interested. Very informative read, essential for any fan of Common's work (film, music, poetry, etc.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day It'll All Make Sense.