Kim Smiley's Reviews > The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

Oct 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

This was one of those books that I couldn't put down. It has all the essentials for a good summer reading book. A summer setting, a summer house on the beach, and teenagers in first-love.

Mia and her parents and her 9 yr. old sister are visiting her aunt, uncle and 2 cousins for the summer. Mia is looking forward to seeing her cousin Corrine, as they are the same age and they haven't seen eachother in 3 years. They talk on the phone all the time up until recently.

Once they get to the house, Mia finds things aren't going to be going as she had planned. Corrine had changed. She had become closer to her sister Beth, and she is very moody, one minute nice and the next acting like she's better than Mia. And, she's having her friend Gen come and stay with them as well.

Mia kinda feels like the odd girl out. Then she meets the boy nextdoor. Simon. None of the other girls like him, saying he's a psycho that had the hots for one of their friends last year. But Mia thinks he's different. She meets him on the beach every night and they take walks, talk and go night swimming. From there their relationship blossoms.

This book has tragedy as well. Mia is noticing that Corrine is a little out of control. She's drinkiing and doing drugs and isn't into being a ballerina anymore, something she has been primed to do since she was a little kid. And her aunt and uncle seem to be having problems as well. To Mia, the only time things make sense is when shes with Simon.

I won't ruin this book for anyone that is thinking of reading it, because you should read it! With that said, I wasn't prepared for the end. It took some unexpected turns, and I wasn't thrilled with where the author went with the story, but I'm still glad I read the book. Sometimes we just don't get the ending we want. That doesn't make it any less a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of Skinny Dipping.