Elizabeth Noah Astle's Reviews > Déjà Dead

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Sep 07, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book is the basis for the tv show Bones. Besides the lead character and her career being the same it stops about there. Tempe in the book, is a divorced, has a college-age daughter, and is a recovering alcoholic who for a while was splitting her time between NC, and Quebec. There is no Sealy-or Sealy like in the book. I think the closest was Ryan and the way he filled out his jeans and his eyes.

When I first started reading this book, I did not like it at all. It was really hard for me to want to pick it up and read it. You can tell that this is the first fiction book that she has written. Eventually though, I will admit that once the story got going I did want to read it and see what happens. Some of the explainations of the forensics I did not care for--they did not play a part in the story but, it is kind of neat to know how and why they do certain test. The way she described some things, like how Julie appeared, or about Quebec really gave the reader a visual of things.

I only gave 3 stars as the story really seemed to drag for me at the beginning but, then it did pick up the pace--which really gave me hope. Later in the story there were some parts that also dragged for me but, I kept reading as I knew she could pick it up and get it going. This is the first book in the Temperance Series so, I do plan on reading the next book as the saying goes that some things do improve with time and I am thinking that Ms. Reichs will fine tune her writting. Not to mention I think she does as this series was picked up for a tv series so there is some good writing in there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Déjà Dead.