Diane Wilkes's Reviews > Shelter

Shelter by Harlan Coben

Sep 10, 11

Read from September 07 to 10, 2011

SHELTER is a perfect book for a teenaged boy you want to read more--he will not be able to put it down, not even to play Guitar Hero. (I am planning to buy it for my nephew for his birthday.)

It is also a perfect book for fans of Harlan Coben and anyone who likes compelling, fast-paced, action-filled books. I read it very quickly indeed.

Mickey Bolitar (Myron's nephew, for those who are Myron Bolitar fans) is new to school, but he has a sweet, pretty girlfriend, Ashley. She is particularly precious because his mother is in his rehab and his father just died. So, when Ashley goes missing, he is determined to find her.

When a mysterious crone tells him his father is still alive, he has to look into that, too. Funny thing is, these mysteries may not be mutually exclusive.

Mickey makes some unusual friends and some loutish enemies, but fortunately he knows how to take care of himself (Myron's blood is thicker than water, and Coben is still their creator). What Mickey discovers about Ashley, his father, and himself makes this book both gripping and poignant.

The reason I did not give this five stars is that the very last revelation makes no sense, chronologically speaking. So while it is a clever cliffhanger, it makes you question some other things that don't add up.

But two things do add up--this book will be a rousing success and you won't regret reading it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter.