Jena's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Nov 21, 2011

bookshelves: favorite-boys
Read from November 19 to 21, 2011

Born Wicked is a riveting and thrilling story that goes to show, that sometimes you must sacrifice the things you love most to keep the people dearest to you safe.

Born Wicked starts off with Cate Cahill and her two sisters Maura and Tess, who are witches... powerful ones. After their mother dies, Cate is left in charge and soon she discovers a terrible fate for her and her sisters if she doesn't do something about it. Now that Cate is almost 17 though, she must decide between marriage or joining the sisterhood and time is running out. While Cate meets with the delicious Finn and Paul and makes new friends, her biggest worry is trying to keep her sisters safe... at all costs.

Excuse me while I try and close my jaw, I think it's still dropped to the floor. Okay, I'm good now. I admit, I'm not usually huge on the whole set in the 1800s kind-of-book, but Born Wicked blew me away. I was constantly smiling, or "oh my god"-ing, or feeling for the characters while they go through trying to hide what they are. Yes, we know they're witches and what I really liked is that Jessica didn't beat around the bush about them discovering it or anything like that. She swoops right into showing us that they can cast spells and are powerful and well, the sisters know it... even if they must hide it for their own safety. I enjoyed all the struggles and the happy parts. And, the constant pulling of emotions in opposite directions was brilliantly done.

I loved Cate as a protagonist. If this book was already out, I'd put her the YA Heroine Tourney because she is what you would categorize as a strong female lead. Cate has been basically "the mom" to her sisters, and she has and would give up everything for them. She gives up and goes through so many things in order to keep her family safe. Honestly, in the end, I don't know if I would have been as strong as she was. With Cate's family, Maura was the spit-fire of a sister that caused chaos, but you still understand where she's coming from. And then there's Tess. I LOVE TESS. I hope (I'm pretty sure she will) have a big role in upcoming books because Tess is one of those characters you just can't help but love! She's innocent, yet completely strong and I loved her! I must also mention Sachi! I really liked her, and hope we get to see more of her as well!

Now the boys, at first I thought I was going to fall in love with Paul. I mean, he has super light blonde hair and green eyes... that's my instant love combo! And, I admit in the beginning I really liked him, but as the story moved on, I fell for someone else instead. So, um, yeah, Finn... I absolutely LOVE him. Good-looking? YEP. Love books? YEP. Is sweet and caring and adorable? YEP. Would do anything to protect the people he loves? YESSS-SIR-REE! I could go on and on about Finn. The fact that he would do anything for the people he loves and has these big brown loving eyes... you just cannot help but melt into him. And one thing that is mentioned more than once that totally sold me, was the mention of freckles! How freaken sexy and adorable! I was rooting for Finn and Cate the whole time! Totally swoon-worthy boy, for sure!

As I was reading the last few chapters, my heart dropped into my stomach when I realized what was coming, and reading it didn't make it any easier. I'm so heartbroken over that ending! I think I felt exactly how Cate felt, and I am desperately awaiting book2 because I NEED to know what will happen. Born Wicked was written beautifully with a perfect story line. You'll definitely want to grab this one when it hits shelves!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.

11/19/2011 page 12
11/19/2011 page 238
73.0% "<33333"
11/21/2011 page 326
100.0% "oh. my. god."

Joanna Lol ur comments while reading the book was funny. And oh i cannot wait to read the 2nd booooook! :)

Jena Joanna wrote: "Lol ur comments while reading the book was funny. And oh i cannot wait to read the 2nd booooook! :)"

I can't wait for the second one either!!! ahhh Finn <3