Amanda's Reviews > The Human Stain

Jun 19, 2007

Recommended for: writers
Read in June, 2007

THINGS I LIKED ABOUT The Human Stain
1. The amazing language. Philip Roth has such an amazing vocabulary, first off. Every word he uses seems painstakingly chosen and every sentence carefully constructed. Honestly, the writing itself is what kept me interested.
2. The idea of the educational playing field being decimated by politics. My favorite sections of the book were the few scenes that took place on campus.
3. I liked the parallels between Coleman and Clinton. Very clever. The title alone gave me something to think about.
4. The last scene between Les and Nathan. Augers are cool.
5. Delphine. Those crazy French. Her "self-appraising and so utterly deluded" character was the most captivating, and I felt, one of the few interesting characters.
6. Les's Vietnam rants. They were so intense - probably one of the strongest Vietnam critiques I've read.

THINGS I DISLIKE ABOUT The Human Stain
1. Coleman. Faunia. Nathan. Coleman's family. Aside from Delphine and Les, I didn't care for any of the central characters in this book. I felt that there could and should have been more, especially in Coleman and Faunia's case. I have to ask what Roth intended, making his two protagonists the most piteous and interesting characters.
2. The secrets and lies theme. I like the theme itself, but sometimes it seeme Roth was hammering it hoe too hard.
3. Moments of drag in plot. Long breaks for idealogical rants.

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Human Stain.

05/09 marked as: read