kari's Reviews > Love Sucks!

Love Sucks! by Melissa Francis

2207055
Sep 07, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, ya
Read in September, 2011

This sequel to Bite Me was just okay. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book and I'm not quite sure why. It seems like it's somewhat disjointed or didn't flow well. As I said, not sure.
The story picks up five months after the end of the first book and Ariel(AJ) has been adjusting to her new family, her vampire mother and sisters and her new warlock stepfather and stepbrothers. To say they are something of a blended family would be a big understatement.
I think maybe what bothers me is that the whole plot here is pretty much the vampire/witch prophecy about some scrolls and runes and time travel and it's just all a bit much.
Maybe had there not been the introduction of the two hot guy vampire trainers and the training taking up far too much of the book, then I'd have enjoyed it more. Not sure.
I have trouble when a new guy shows up and immediately wants the heroine with barely a "hello or nice to meet you." This bothers me, particularly when AJ is still somewhat pining over her now-stepbrother, Ryan, who's been dating another girl, maybe.
I don't like manufactured love triangles. And I don't like a girl going to the prom with the two love triange guys. Maybe that's every girl's teen fantasy, two hot guys for the prom, I don't know, but I didn't care for that and it seemed odd to me that a twenty-one year old guy who isn't from the area or that school would be so set on taking AJ to the prom. Just saying.
What I did like is that the story is wrapped up completely with this book with no loose ends. It isn't being drawn out too long and I appreciate that, although after all the running about to get all the scrolls and runes I kind of wanted someone to actually use them and find out what, if anything, they actually do. Oh well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Sucks!.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

kari September wrote: "So there is no cliffhanger at the end of the book I notice she said there won't be anymore in the series."

That's too bad really because I did have lots of questions and I wanted to have someone actually do something with all the scrolls, etc. Oh well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I didn't know whether the series was worth picking up or not. :)