Jessica's Reviews > Canyons of Night

Canyons of Night by Jayne Castle

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance

This story has a cute set-up and middle that reminded me a bit of JAK's Eclipse Bay series, but set in Harmony. Unfortunately, it all fell apart with the ending for me -- the typical hero/heroine in peril, escape from said peril because of really contrived circumstances (in this case, Charlotte's psychic sense that Slade is in trouble, even though no-where else is there any indication that she has powers of that sort), et cetera, et cetera.

I think it only really bothered me because I found the light-hearted, character-based beginning very charming and for it to jump in tone from enjoyable romance to middling suspense was a disappointment. Not a surprise, JAK has been disappointing me in that way for years and I keep reading her, but still... it didn't end on a high note for me.

Also, the cover art makes no sense. I know, it's cover art and cover art never makes sense, but you'd think with an author who sells as much as JAK does, the publisher could make an effort.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Canyons of Night.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Chris Charlotte's sense that Slade is in trouble is something that other H/H couples have experienced when they have made a romantic/emotional connection. This is nothing new in the Arcane world.

Jessica Oh, I know it's nothing new. JAK does it all the time. My problem with it is that it very rarely makes sense within the world(s) she's created, and this is just another example of that. It seems like a new psychic power that all of a sudden the H/Hs have that's never explained or explored. But, I started off as a fantasy reader, which may be why this kind of thing just bugs me more than it does other people, idk.

Chris I guess I don't see it as a new power. It's not like it's something that works all the time. Just with this one person under special circumstances. It always works within the story for me.