Jennifer Rinehart's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: books-i-d-read-again
Read from September 07 to 12, 2011

I have great book depression now. You know that feeling you get when you finish reading a super cool book and nothing else sounds as good afterwards. I wandered around the house, looking at the books I have piled next to my desk, they all sound okay, but nothing really jumps out at me, same same with the books on my nightstand, the two on my coffee table and the one I have in my purse for emergencies, like waiting in line at the pharmacy.

"What do I read now?" She whines.

This book is seriously that good. I had the same problem after finishing Hunger Games and Dead Until Dark.

I wont bother to synopsize this book, others have done an excellent job of it, I'll just mention a few of the things I really, really love about this story.

1. The heroine isn't a spitfire, she's often lost for words and weighs her options carefully before making choices.

2. The king Elisa marries and the way he is portrayed. He isn't bad, it would have been easy to write him as a bad guy, insensitive and petty, but he's just an average man dealing with extraordinary situations, instead of rising to the occasion, he shows that he isn't nearly as strong and intelligent as Elisa.

3. The godstone - it isn't used all the time to solve problems at the last possible moment. In fact, through most of the book I thought of it as superstitious jewelry, when it finally came into play, I was excited and felt it was believable.

4. The reluctant hero. Like all good reluctant heroes, Elisa is flawed. She's really hard on herself, doubts her abilities and often wonders what her father or much more attractive older sister would do in her situation. It takes over half of the book before she realizes, that they would make different decisions than her but they would be wrong to do so.

5. Romance - there is a little, but it doesn't overwhelm the story and the lovebirds aren't gushy and hogging up the pages with their amour when the story lags.

6. Praying and stuff - I have to admit, some of the reviews I read said there was a lotta god stuff going on, but it doesn't interrupt the story and the devoutness of Elisa and the world she lives in is pretty realistic. As an atheist, I didn't mind it and I think the story would have been a little cold without it.

7. Mystery - I love a mystery to a story and it was even better that I wasn't aware there was one until a few scattered comments got Elisa to start asking questions.

8. More mystery to come - This story doesn't end on a cliffhanger - I'm a little tired of that style of ending, instead it ends similarly to the way Star Wars - A New Hope did, the battle has been won, but the war is far from over. Perfection.

I can't wait for the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.