Amanda's Reviews > The Darkest Minds

F_50x66
Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases
Read from June 12 to 14, 2012

This book is amazing. Just absolutely freaking amazing. When I first glanced at it I was a little unsure about the length (this is a fairly large tome), but it didn't matter. I read every single page of this book -I was completely and totally engrossed in every page of this book. I could not put it down. Darkest Minds hits every element that I love about the YA dystopian genre perfectly. Most importantly, Darkest Minds took the genre to another level, giving it more depth and bringing it closer to the classic dystopian feel of Orwell's 1984 (unlike some modern genre books). If you only read one YA novel this year, make it Darkest Minds.

Darkest Minds take place in the near future in an America run by fear. Fear of a a disease that infects children. The lucky ones died, the others inherited strange powers they cannot control, so they were shipped off to government-run rehabilitation camps to keep them under control and experiment on them. Young Ruby has lived in a came since the age of 10, and now, at 16, she's grown into one of the dangerous ones. After she escapes, Ruby finds herself in a broken world, on the run from the government.

It's hard to get past the fact that this is, just flat out, an excellent book. It's incredibly well-written (in my opinion, a major improvement over Bracken's first novel, Brightly Woven) and the world-building is top-notch. I especially like how Bracken demonstrated how the world logically grew into what it was in the book and how the government used fear to expand their control. Bracken even threw in a few pieces of commentary about the financial crisis and other issues facing our world today. I thought it was genius.

All of the elements in this novel are seamlessly woven together. The characters are compelling, the plot is addictive and the world is just incredible. I loved this book -in fact, I can't remember the last time I devoured something this fast (and that was this perfect on so many levels). Do yourself a favor and read Darkest Minds -just incredible!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Minds.

06/13/2012 page 300