Erin Ashley's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Aug 19, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, romance, sci-fi, favorites
Read from September 19, 2011 to August 19, 2013

** spoiler alert ** What a brilliant ending to one of the best series I think I have ever read!

It was so hard just to put this book down even for the tinest second. It lived in my hand for 3 days straight and I do admit, I did try to pace myself. I didn't want it to end. The thing about this book I loved the most was the love and the strong urge for peace. It seemed ironic that during a time of destruction and rebellion that Mayor Coin seemed just as strict, if not stricter than the Capitol itself. Her place of high authority never sat right with me in District 13 and I couldn't like her no matter how hard I tried to believe she might have some good in her.

Probably something I enjoyed the most was that everything felt so real in a made up world. Although, this series had echo's of the real world we live in today. The love Katniss had for Peeta and for Gale, the struggle between which one she can't live without wasn't the focus of this story, but you always knew it was there even when it wasn't being written about. I loved that this book was more than just a love story, it had substance and a real, true story to it all. There were times when I thought that my heart was breaking for decisions that Katniss had to make and times when I felt her anger and her sadness and misery. To be able to make someone feel those range of emotions, you have to have a true talent to twist a story like that, Suzanne Collins knows exactly what she is doing with every flourish of her pen. She knows the story she is weaving and that is what makes her talent a treasure.

I loved the progression of the characters in this book too. Peeta had to escape his mind and learn what is real or not. I loved the game he invented to try and remember what is real or not real. Gale evolved too, realising that he can't hold himself back and he needs to progress forward for himself, to do what is necessary to survive and protect those who he loves. Katniss changed her mindset so many times it's a wonder she didn't lose her mind. On more than one occasion I though she would lose her mind, I wouldn't have blamed her in the slightest either. She has to hold everything inside and that has to be tough.

The worst thing about this book was all the senseless deaths. By far Prim's plucked my heartstrings the most. I couldn't believe that that had happened to her, I wanted to believe it was all a horrible nightmare as much as Katniss did. Finnick became a character that I grew to love too, I felt saddened by his death too. I loved and hated that Suzanne Collins wasn't afraid to shock her readers.

The ending for this book I have read mixed reviews about. I felt that it was the best way to end it. The epilogue was the best way to go around it and the very last sentence has been resonatiing around my head ever since reading it.

I could gush and gush about this book until my fingers hurt from typing so much. This book and series has stuck with me so far and I know it's not going to disappear anytime soon. Everyone should read this series, young and old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Erin Ashley Liked

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“There are much worse games to play.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

09/19/2011 page 100
09/20/2011 page 249
64.0% 1 comment
08/11/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/19/2013 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Droid Warrior   《VISH》 As always, an outstanding review!

Erin Ashley Why thankyou :)