Samantha's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

F_50x66
Sep 07, 11

Read in January, 2011

I’m writing a dystopian fiction for teens so this book was part of my reading round the subject. It is aimed at a younger age group than I expected but I still managed to enjoy it. My rating is compensating for the age gap and for the fact it was a quick read.

It reminded me of The Handmaids Tale, with the main character in a type of boarding school training to be a housemaid. She is clearly brainwashed, happy to believe that she must become ‘Useful’ to make up for her parents illegally giving birth to her while the rest of the world takes a Longevity drug that makes them immortal.

The dystopian world was my favourite part of this book. I actually think Gemma Malley could use the same world and create a pretty brilliant series for an older audience with different characters because otherwise it feels a bit like of a waste of a great idea. The plot was alright but so much more could be done.

I found Anna a slightly irritating main character, which in a way was a good thing. She’s supposed to be that bossy girl at school who does everything by the book so the characterisation is strong. However, I found Simon (love interest) to be a weak character. I felt if a little more thought went into him, if there was a bit more to him, and if how he moves the story forward was more complex with a few more twists then I would give this 5 stars.

The ending was great too which made it worth reading. I’d say this was perfect for a 14 year old girl who has an interest in dystopian fiction or fantasy, a world with a bit of imagination but still a sense of a realistic life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.