Chaz's Reviews > The Secret Life of Plants: A Fascinating Account of the Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Relations Between Plants and Man

The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins

May 28, 08

did not like it

To be completely honest, I truly wanted to believe that some of the “secrets” in this book are true. Perhaps some are, but even with a very open mind I had a hard time swallowing most of this “new age” pseudo-science. In addition this book is poorly organized, in a dire need of editing and at times deadly boring.

The authors’ propose that we/human beings have a conscious connection to the plant world. This I believe is possible – although the premises presented here attempt to convince that the plant/human relationship is detectable, personal, and not limited by distance. The research was not done under double-blind rigorous scientific protocol.

I do however think that there is an important connection between plant life beyond sustenance, photosynthesis and aesthetic value. To quantify a connection measured between two different types of consciousness- I would imagine would have to be very detailed and complicated. Something that is definitely beyond reach of the scientists which are presented here.

I think it’s safe to say that some people are connected to the plant world and can communicate with effectively with it…i.e those with a green thumb. But this ‘natural’ connection isn’t proven in this book.

Please read the following paragraphs below, if you plan on purchasing or reading this book. The following paragraphs are MUST READ excerpts – and if you have a quirky twisted humor, could be considered downright hilarious…. Or at least I thought so.

“As Sauvin's main problem remained that of getting his plants to be sharply attuned to his person rather than to their immediate environment, when he was away for several days, he had to devise some means of attracting his plants' attention even more effectively than addressing them over them on long-distance phone.

As his plants reacted most strongly to any damage done to himself or to any part of his own energy field, he experimented with remotely killing a few cells of his body in the presence of the plants. The system worked admirably. The problem was to obtain cells that would remain alive for protracted periods.
Blood worked well enough, hair was difficult to kill, (isn’t hair dead?)but sperm worked best of all, because, as Sauvin explained, it was easier to obtain than bleeding, and much less painful. (very true!)

These experiments led Sauvin to wonder if plants might not react just as well to emotions of pleasure and joy as to pain and shock. Not only was he tired of shocking himself, he was afraid that repeated shocks to his plants, even indirect ones, might be UNPLEASANTLY LOADING HIS KARMA. … Sauvin soon found that his plants did react to joy and pleasure, but with wave patterns that were not sharp enough to trigger a switch reliably. Undaunted, Sauvin decided on a more daring experiment. “
(This is where things get very strange – I wonder if his plants got jealous?? Ha!)
“ During a holiday with a girlfriend at his lakeside cottage he established that his plants, 80 miles away, would react with very high peaks on the tone oscillator to the acute pleasure of sexual climax....”
This is where I burst out laughing and thought how this story would be some good raw material pathological erotic thriller or satire.

9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Plants.

message 1: by bitfed (new)

bitfed Lol, your review saved me time, thank you. Though I sort of want to read it just for a laugh now. :)