Hank's Reviews > Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer?

Montmorency On The Rocks by Eleanor Updale

Apr 20, 08

liked it
Read in March, 2008

The first sequel was too more-of-the-same to be as much fun as the first book. I wish it had been edgier. It was edgier than the first, but I wanted more. A quick look at the titles says a lot.

1 - Liar, Thief, Gentleman
2 - Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer

Comparing good traits - gentleman vs. doctor and aristocrat - there is much more high society in #2, and it was during #2 that I realized exactly how many pages are devoted to description of how clothes are tailored, and how such clothes are received. There's a description of some sort of mechanical opera hat fer cryin' out loud. But as I said, it's not really different, but more of the same.

Bad traits - liar and thief vs. murderer - so we have half as many bad traits, but probably more than twice as bad. Edgier, but not enough. Updale seems really unwilling to put Montmorency in a bad light since his character was founded on gettin' his so to speak. Maybe he's a murderer, and maybe not. But if he is, well, it's someone's (not his) fault for stepping on his Pumas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Montmorency On The Rocks.