Tiffany's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

Sep 06, 11

Even though I know that not everyone thinks this book is deserving of the Caldecott, I enjoyed looking at the illustrations and reading the story even more! I thought this was a very sweet and touching story.

When I read the story the first time through, I noticed that some of the certain items in Amos' home were colored blue (like his stove, blanket, and the outside of his home). I wondered if that would be explained throughout the story. I didn't really end up figuring that out. I also noticed that the end papers were also a soft grey/blue, which I think goes with the mood of the book.

As I reread the story and looked a little closer at the illustrations, I also noticed a few other things. On almost every page, there is the little mouse or the balloon that later gets given to Amos. The mouse and teddy bear often have a small clock with them too. Amos seems content with the simple things in life. His simple breakfast, clothes, and even his home. His house is smaller than all of the other new construction townhomes of the city.

I also like that the animals all seem to have very distinct personalities and you can see this by looking at their body language as part of the illustrations as well as by some of what they wear. For example, the penguin is very shy. He stands with both feet turned in, just like Amos.

Overall, this is a very heartwarming story with beautiful and soft illustrations. I like how the pop of color shows the importance of items/characters on each page. I'm still wondering about the red balloon...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.