Tiffany's Reviews > Tuesday

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Sep 06, 2011

Tuesday is a unique and comical story. The illustrations HAVE to tell the story in this book, because the words are very limited. I have used this picture book several times with my students for a writing activity, where they would have to supply the words that go along with the story.

When looking at the cover, I noticed that the clock looks like it is showing 9:00 more than 8:00. I wonder if there is any significance to the clock showing 9:00.

As for the actual illustrations, it's easy to see why this won the Caldecott. The illustrations are mainly done in blues and greens to highlight the time of day (dusk and evening). I noticed that the illustrations were sometimes taking up both pages like a full spread. That was helpful to give the reader the "whole view" of what was going on. On some other pages, there were "inset" illustrations, which gives the reader a more detailed view of the scene. I found this interesting because the inset images acted as a zoom on an action that was going on in a particular scene (usually of something that a frog was doing). So, the reader got to see the background image/scenery and then was able to see several "hidden" things that were going on within that background/scene.

On a lot of pages, one or two of the frogs is brown when all of the other frogs are green. A lot of those times the brown frog(s) is doing something different compared to the other green frogs, but not always. I don't really know what this means...it's just something that I noticed.

I love the pigs flying at the end! A great prediction for what might happen next Tuesday...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday.