Heather's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

May 27, 13

Read in May, 2013

I waver on this one. There are parts of this book I like very much – many of the descriptions, the magical quality to the atmosphere, the deeper undercurrents of theme and the questions being asked about fate and magic and meaning. Very cool settings throughout, imaginative and whimsical.

Others, not so much. Some of the descriptions had such fanciful language I had a hard time picturing what the hell was going on. The characters at times seemed interchangeable in their manners of speech (much of which seemed too modern for a late-19th/early 20th century setting), and I actually had a difficult time perceiving the supposed undeniable chemistry between Marco and Celia. (In fact, I found myself hoping each would end up with their other love interests, Isobel and Friedrick, respectively.) The plot crashed into the climax too quickly, with insufficient build-up. I might have enjoyed the book more if it was told entirely from Bailey's point-of-view. The shift in time periods for each chapter was horribly disconnecting, despite the attempt at the top of each to tell me exactly where and when the events were happening. The present tense narrative also made it feel too contemporary for what was meant to be a period piece. And there was an odd usage of run-on sentences in what I think was meant to be a facsimile of how people actually talk but... don't actually talk. I don't know, it was weird and made me want to copyedit. However, I found the intersecting segments to be the most effective use of second-person I've seen in a long time.

All in all, a little too ambitious, but an interesting attempt. I don't regret reading it, but I was glad to be finished so that I could move on to something else.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

05/27/2013 marked as: read