Karen's Reviews > Lucifer, Vol. 11: Evensong

Sep 06, 11

liked it
bookshelves: comics
Read in September, 2011

I don't really know what I think about this series. Not in a linear, well plotted, concise way. I was left with many impressions, but nothing so concrete as to make any sort of coherent review.

For one, I found myself often confused by the goings on, and was very thankful for the occasional "Story Thus Far" summaries. I spent a great deal of time feeling as though there was some greater symbolism that I just wasn't quite grasping as it went zooming over my head. I hate that when books do that. It makes me feel as though I'm not smart enough to be reading it in the first place.

I did like the characters, some more than others. As predicted by the friend who loaned me the trades, the fallen cherubim were hands down my favorites, with Mazikeen and Elaine following close behind.

While I did enjoy them, and no where near regret having read them, I have to admit that the latent cosmology of the story left a bad taste in my mouth. I very much dislike the background ethnocentrism inherent to the story. I don't like the idea of the Judeo-Christian Yahweh being the actual creator of the universe. I have no doubt that it's my own personal bias tainting this view, but...it's there none the less, and it makes me itchy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer, Vol. 11.