Kaitlin's Reviews > Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2011, favorites
Read from October 30 to November 02, 2011

Check out more reviews at Books to the Sky.

()I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.)

We realized that we BOTH requested this book for review, and so because of this we decided to do our review together!

We both absolutely loved this book. It was realistic, it was heart-wrenching, and Jenny cried while reading it (which, she's known to do a lot while reading).

Harper's older sister June killed herself a week prior to the story starting. Understandably, Harper and her mother (who is now single after having gotten divorced) are feeling lost and while they are both attempting to deal with the shock and grief of it all, Harper decides to take her sister's urn to California.

June had always dreamed of leaving to go to California and Harper ends up teaming up with her best friend Laney and Jake (who we LOVED) to drive across the U.S. to the ocean in California to drop June's ashes. They get into a lot of adventures along the way, some of which were funny, and some of which were shocking and sad.

Harper's character was perfectly cast as the little sister. She always felt like she was living in June's shadow and, despite doing a lot of sisterly arguing, she really looked up to her. She was very likable as a character.

Have we mentioned we love Jake? Cuz, we do. He was edgy and sensitive and we wanted to sit and listen to music with him.

There's a lot of musical references in this book (like, a ton), and at the very end of the book is a playlist of all the songs referenced in the book. We definitely felt like listening to some music after reading this book. Well, and Jenny needed tissues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving June.

10/30/2011