Adam's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

1192135
Mar 28, 12

liked it
Recommended for: spring breakers who need something to read on the beach
Read from March 11 to 28, 2012 , read count: 1

Well, now I know what SF pulp is.

I had put this book on my to-read list some time ago, and then forgotten about it. With the movie in theaters and a free digital copy available I decided to finally do something about that. At under 200 pages this is a breeze to get through, and the chapters definitely feel episodic.

A Princess of Mars tells the story of John Carter, a Virginian civil war veteran who headed West to claim his fortune prospecting. He finds himself magically transported to Mars amid barbaric alien races pitched in constant battle.

What follows is combination Axe body spray / Old Spice commercial where John Carter exhibits supreme manliness in the face of danger, dealing death to his foes and leaving a trail of adoring fans in his wake. The story reads a bit breathless. I found the book entertaining overall, but not something I would eagerly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Hall I didn't think it was that cheesy, but you do have to keep in mind that it was written in 1917. I enjoyed it and definitely plan to read the others in the series. Being free in digital format doesn't hurt either :)

Adam It was certainly fun. I could definitely picture the entire book being written in style of old timey comic books. How was the movie?

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Hall The movie wasn't bad. They definitely modernized it, but they also added a whole other sub plot which wasn't in the book at all. Still worth a watch though.