Denise's Reviews > At the Elbows of My Elders: One Family's Journey toward Civil Rights

At the Elbows of My Elders by Gail Milissa Grant

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: social-issues, nonfiction
Read from September 06 to 07, 2011

As a white woman, I can never know what it truly felt like to grow up as a black person in a segregated America. But this author did. And her story of the conditions that she and her family lived in St. Louis, Missouri, is truly eye-opening. The problem is that white people will not read this book because they've been so good at closing their eyes to "other" peoples' problems. And until white people can see life from the other side of the color barrier, there will never truly be an open and honest society in this country.

My favorite part of the book were these words: "...how many times on my way to and from school I had passed a house where another colored family lived. And how they were never able, no matter how ferociously they scrubbed the side of their home, to erase fully the word 'NIGGER', painted there in thick, white letters by some anonymous passerby....How many times I did not walk down the aisle as part of a friend's wedding party; their parents just wouldn't allow it. But then again, how one of my girlfriends refused to be her best friend's maid of honor because I wasn't invited to be a bridesmaid. The good and the bad all balled up together."

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Elbows of My Elders.