Garry's Reviews > The Essential Dracula: the Definitive Annotated Edition

The Essential Dracula by Bram Stoker

Oct 16, 11

Read from September 06 to October 08, 2011

How can you give a genre-defining book anything BUT five stars? The first one hundred or so pages are incredible. Vivid, frightening, haunting, unsettling, and -- in same way I found the opening of Tale of Two Cities -- oddly cinematic. I say "oddly" only because both books, obviously, pre-dated movies by a considerable time and therefore I find the notion of a novel's style being "cinematic" odd.

Reading Dracula made me appreciate some of The Historian even more. The epistolary nature of Dracula is nicely echoed in The Historian. The use of multiple narrators and the landscape of Romania/Hungary figure prominently and add richness to both books.

Reading the Essential/Annotated version added to the pleasure of this book. The footnotes added many interesting details and helped me, for one, appreciate the richness of vampire literature. It is more than those irritating Twilight trailers!

So, returning to a point I made when writing about The Historian. A mark of a good book, a good read, for me is if it leads me to other books. Well, when I finished Dracula, I moved on to Jeckyl & Hyde and am now about halfway through Frankenstein.

Halloween must be around the corner!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Dracula.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Camp Good review, Garry. I must get to this classic soon!