Gabrielle's Reviews > I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan

I Love You, Ronnie by Nancy Reagan

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011

I liked this book, but there were a few things holding me back from completely enjoying it. The letters from Ronald Reagan were touching, and despite the fact that I'm not a romantic person, I found myself thinking they were the sweetest couple to ever live. But, I wasn't a big fan of how Nancy Reagan seemed to have no identity outside of being Mrs. Reagan. She started to irritate me the more I read because she seemed to have no independence or sense of self beyond her role as a wife. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You, Ronnie.

Andrea Campbell But don't you think that was appropriate for women in that time? Most women had no identity than being the "Mrs" and many of them adored that role (I am thinking my grandmother and my husband's grandmother and even my mother.)

Gabrielle She is definitely a product of her time. I, however, have trouble understanding that mindset. I grew up idolizing very strong woman like Eleanor Roosevelt, who despite the social norms of her time managed to maintain a very strong sense of self. I simply wish Nancy would have showed more of her personality through this book as well as Ronald Reagan's. The book portrays his personality well, but readers learn little about Nancy Reagan other than her adoration of her husband.

Andrea Campbell Very true!! I am beginning to think that her "strength" was being the woman supporting the man. I wish we had more of that now. But WOW, their love for each other....priceless!!!