Bob's Reviews > Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View

Making Our Democracy Work by Stephen G. Breyer

M 50x66
Mar 10, 2014

Read from September 06, 2011 to March 10, 2014

Continuing to read several books, this one included. I know of only two Supreme Court Justices who wrie so well and openly. Stephen Breyer and Sandra Day O'Conner. Why the others don't believe that the American People either want or need to know how they think,how they perform their duties and who they are is beyond me. I haven't always agreed with Justice Breyer's decisions, but After reading. Much of his book, I think maybe he hasn't always been happy with his rulings.
One thing I keep coming back to is his idea that the American People are an evolving society, the constitution must also keep up with our society.
Who among the founding fathers knew anything about intellectual property, bioethics or same sex marriage? These are the concepts and ideas that the Supeme Court wrestles with.
I also was impressed that in his 17 years or so on the bench, he has never witnessed an occasion where a justice in private raised their voice or became angry. It certainly isn't a case that they lack passion, but they put their responsibilities and duties before personal pride. We are fortunate as a nation to have all of them on the bench.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Our Democracy Work.

09/11/2011 page 65
23.0% "So far a good read. Justice Breyer explains the law in a way that laymen understand. I sure admire him."
04/24/2013
80.0% "Justice Breyer has earned much respect from me. His knowledge of the Constitution, common sense and wonderful writing ability has madereading this book a joy."
03/10/2014 marked as: read