Nazrul's Reviews > Danny the Champion of the World

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

M 50x66
Sep 08, 11

Danny the Champion of the World was a book I read as a child and re-reading for this review brought back many childhood memories. Roald Dahl was one of my favourites as a child; and to some extent he still is.

This book tells of the relationship between a father and a son. They live near the woods in a caravan and share everything together, until one day Danny finds out that his father has been keeping a secret; pheasant poaching. This now becomes both their secret and Danny begins to help his dad poach from his biggest enemy Victor Hazell; a wealthy land owner. With the help of Danny’s new plan (and a very good plan it turns out to be), they set out to make the yearly pheasant poaching event held on Mr
Hazell’s land a failure; whilst catching the most pheasants of all time.

The storyline is exciting and is very humerous but it also re-itterates the special bond between a father and son and is a message to those of us who get lost in this world of employment and wealth, because what really matters is not our jobs or how much we earn but rather what is more important is the happiness of our families, as we too often forget that we only work to provide for our families and not just for the sake of earning money.

This is book for Key Stage 2 and above and a truly inspiring read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny the Champion of the World.