Pooker's Reviews > The Dead of Midnight

The Dead of Midnight by Catherine Hunter

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: canada, winnipeg, mystery
Recommended for: Keewatinites for sure!
Read from April 15 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy
BCID: 10122800

April 15, 2012:

Started the book last night, just before bed. Got a few chapters in and totally creeped myself out. Honestly, how you mystery lovers can read this stuff and maintain your sanity is beyond me. Or maybe you don't! Mwaa-haa-haa!

...Stay tuned!

April 21, 2012:

Finished this book yesterday - all in all a very entertaining read. I am not usually one to read mystery/thrillers. Neither am I one to watch horror movies. I guess I don't like to be on edge as I read or watch. I was pretty sure I'd end up having nightmares after my first evening reading this particular book. Luckily that didn't happen but it sure had the makings for some.

Thankfully, it was less spine tingling and more intriguing as the plot thickened.

Members of the Mystery-au-Lait book club in Wolseley (an area of Winnipeg known as the granola belt) are reading a Canadian re-issue of the Midnight Mystery Series previously popular in the US. Freakily, as the group goes through the books, members are being bumped off one by one in the same manner as the victims in the books they are reading.

There are lots of characters in this book, most of whom might be potential villains. The first character to whom we are introduced is Sarah Petursson, and being the first intended victim, is probably the only one we are comfortable in not suspecting. Having avoided her demise, Sarah remains in constant danger. Her ex-husband Peter seems to be the most likely suspect at least until the third murder is committed while Peter is in jail.

Running parallel to and intertwining with the mystery of who is bumping off the book club members is the mystery of Sarah's past. As a child Sarah lived with her mother, in seeming seclusion, on an island in Lake of the Woods. She never knew her father and in fact, as a child, never knew she ought to have a father. Tragically, her mother was killed in a fire on the island when Sarah was just six years old. Until now, Sarah had buried her past as being too painful to visit. However, when she comes into possession of some of her mother's papers and journals, some of which suddenly disappear from her porch, she is compelled to return to her childhood home and learn about her mother's life.

Having grown up on Lake of the Woods myself and being well acquainted with the area, particularly the ruins of the flour mill (which by the way was at one time the 2nd largest flour mill in the world!)and the boat lift, this story was particularly visually intriguing to read. I could easily see everything happening exactly as the author set out. Eek!

I have no idea how this book would compare to others of its genre, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead of Midnight.