Baco's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Jul 27, 08

bookshelves: fiction, magic, vampires
Read in July, 2008

I feel like I would have appreciated this a lot more if I'd read Twilight first! But I pretty much flat-out refuse to go anywhere near Twilight, so. Er.

I really liked the world here, but I thought the near-constant tangents to explain how the world worked were unnecessary and frustating. I enjoyed the POV, but it really pulled me out of the story when Sunshine would go on a big backtracking infodump in the middle of action or dialogue or pretty much anything. Still, there were a lot of really cool details about how magic had been incorporated into daily life that made a lot of sense to me and were just generally really clever.

I liked the romance a lot, even though I don't think I should have. It was there, but it wasn't hitting the reader over the head, and it wasn't the point. I'd really, really like to see a sequel, because in a lot of ways this was an origin story, and I'd really like to see where things go from here. At the same time, though, it was frustrating knowing that the book really should have been a heck of a lot shorter.

I didn't really like Sunshine, and I found her pessimism really exhausting overall, but I enjoyed seeing how she dealt with things, and the book surprised me more than once, which always makes me happy. I had to keep reading because I genuinely didn't have a clue what was going to happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.