Donna's Reviews > A More Perfect Heaven: How Copernicus Revolutionized the Cosmos

A More Perfect Heaven by Dava Sobel

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012, science
Read from January 07 to 10, 2012

This story of how Copernicus changed our view of the cosmos was interesting although it didn't approach the excellence of Sobel's Longitude. While she uses a lot of primary sources in her research and as quotes in the book, it's always hard to accurately flesh out the story of a life lived over 400 years ago.

She structures the book as beginning and ending factual sections with a play in between imagining the conversations and circumstances that led to Copernicus agreeing to publish his work. The play section didn't really work for me. The dialogue was so modern that it just seemed strange and I didn't think the play added much to the story. After notes and appendices, the book was actually quite short and so it felt a little thin to me. I'm sure it's the case that there just isn't much else known about Copernicus but it was a little disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A More Perfect Heaven.