christa's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

Apr 20, 08

Read in April, 2008

this book isn't bad, but it isn't good either. it just is. most of the essays are about as quirky as your mom after two glasses of wine, putting her hand over her mouth and gasping about the 'sh-' word. sloane crosley is scared she will suffer an untimely death and whoever cleans out her apartment will find her stash of toy ponies. ... this is not really the stuff of shocking hilarity.

it's almost quaint in its lack of risk-taking. sloane crosley comes across as a sweet, self-depreciating, smart and witty -- but a far cry from david sedaris or sarah vowell, two writers her style was linked to in blurbs. [i should know better than to be fooled by blurbs. i know how they happen ... yet meghan daum's seal of approval did prompt me to buy this.] it is heavy handed in the PR direction: this is a woman who is not going to make enemies with this book of essays. and honestly, she comes across as very likeable. i'd read her blog.

some essays are better: the story of her first job; how she is a sushi-loving vegetarian -- this one is filled with the sort of punny humor i enjoy. being a bridesmaid for a woman she no longer knows -- also a good story that falls flat in the end.

i'm going to stop reading books shelved in the humor section and go back to memoirs. addiction memoirs, even.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Right on.

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Tangney yeah i can't believe she was compared to Dorothy Parker! (I am well aware that this review is 6+ years old)