Christy (TheReaderBee)'s Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

2201617
Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: arcs-for-review, read-in-2011, young-adult-fiction, ya-fantasy
Read from September 06 to 15, 2011

The Girl of Fire and Thorns was a fascinating read for me. I didn’t really know what to expect going into the book, as the synopsis is a bit vague. The book was not what I expected, but I definitely enjoyed reading it!

I have to talk about the main character first. Elisa is such an amazing character. She’s a princess, but she’s definitely not your average princess. She’s overweight, a bit naïve, and very insecure about herself. She’s also the bearer of the Godstone, which she knows very little about. That all changes when she’s married away to the handsome King Alejandro, and moves away to live with him in his palace.

Elisa is such a great character. While I had my doubts about her in the beginning of the book, she managed to completely take me by surprise. Elisa becomes a completely different person as we follow her on an unimaginable journey throughout the book. I loved watching her grow, and become more confident with herself, seeing her survive all that she has been through, and also seeing her discover why she was chosen as the bearer of the Godstone.

There were a lot of secondary characters in the book, and I felt they were extremely well written. Quite a few of them grew on me more and more throughout the book.

The plot for this story was very unique. The story literally sucked me in, and I was completely engrossed in the story. The first half of the book is a bit slow; it was mainly just building up background for the story. There was a lot more action in the second half of the book than I actually expected. There were a couple of parts toward the end of the book that I was really surprised about, the author definitely didn’t hold back on this story.

Overall, this was a really great read. This is definitely going to be one of my favorite books of the year. I can’t wait to add it to my collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

09/14/2011 page 248