Melissa's Reviews > The Gate to Women's Country

The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper

Sep 06, 11

I first read this book when I was in high school and frankly, I neither understood it nor enjoyed it. Later, after reading most of Tepper's backlist in my twenties, I decided to revisit this novel and found it to be provocative and well thought out, if dated at that point. It is one of those, how shall I say, books written by women with the mindset of the feminist movement of the late seventies/eary eighties. So if you take it from that particular historical perspective, it's easier to swallow. ANYWAY, the book takes place "post-convulsion" - I always took this to mean post-apocalypse America after some sort of nuclear war wiped out most of civilization. Women rose up and took it upon themselves to recreate a peaceful society. The women live inside walled cities and perform medicine, grow food, create art, etc., and the men live outside the walls in a garrison where they prepare themselves for war. Ultimately this book winds up being about selective breeding the cost of peace, and the ambiguities and burden of power. I recommend this book highly (and advise to skip the weird Greek play that is broken up throughout the text).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gate to Women's Country.