Laurian's Reviews > Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love

Songs of Love and Death by George R.R. Martin

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, fantacy
Read from September 06 to 10, 2011

I figured with all of these pretty intense novels I’ve been reading it lately that it was time I went for something a bit lighter. So I went with a book of short stories about love and death... ::snort:: I’m funny.

This book is crazy long. That is because it has about 17 stories in it, each one about 20-30 pages long! It also has a pretty impressive list of authors like Neil Gaiman, Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn, and Robin Hobb. But, what drew me to it was the list of authors who I’d never read before. I figured this could be a kind of blitz on some new authors I might want to try out.

Overall, the book was compiled well almost all of the stories were well done. Predictably, the authors I already knew were the ones that I liked the most. But there was an author, Marjorie Liu, who’s story I liked just as much. I’ll be sure to check her out in the future. I also liked the theme - although it was a bit melodramatic more often then naught.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Love and Death.