Jay's Reviews > The Power

Sep 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, self-help
Read in September, 2011

in 2006, Rhonda Byrne produced the video of The Secret, later released as a book. In it, authors, psychologists and scientists described the LW of Attraction and how it could change your life. In her 2010 book, The Power, Byrne offers a similar message in her own voice. Her thesis is that love is the power behind the law of attraction. Those who looked The Secret will relate to this book. Those who didn't won't find any reason to change their opinion. I give The Power 4 stars for i's philosophy and 1 star for its science.

The philosophy: use love, gratitude, and play to generate positive feelings toward the things you envision wanting in your life. I accept this as a useful mind set even without the rewards she suggests will result.

The science: the book draws an analogy between Newton's Third Law of Motion (to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) and if you give you will receive. Like all analogies, the comparison comes with limits. In physics, Newton's law has been measured with precision. Giving and receiving cannot be measured as accurately, and most philanthropists claim to receive more than they give.

A key theme in the book is the use of positive feelings to power your life. I accept the value of positive attitude, but she tries to root this in reality by describing our skin as a feeling organ. This confuses the concept of feeling/touch as received by our skin with feeling/emotion that the book really intends.

What the book lacks is using the feelings to empower persistent, consistent action toward your goals. What you want may show up without action on your part, but channeling your attitude and feelings into action is the key to achieving any goal. As Damon Runyon notes "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet."

My favorite take away from the book is "take your feelings off autopilot." Don't depend on physicists speculating on biology or philosophical spins on laws of physics. Positive attitude and feelings empower action and make life more fun. Who doesn't want that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power.