April Helms's Reviews > The Salamander Spell

The Salamander Spell by E.D. Baker

F_50x66
Apr 20, 08

Recommended for: children, young adult
Read in April, 2008

A prequel to Tales of the Frog Princess. Grassina, as the second oldest princess, is told she must content herself to her life as it is, while her older sister Chartreuse is trained to rule the kingdom. But when a curse turns their mother, The Green Witch, into a disagreeable hag, Grassina finds unexpected means and powers to help defend the kingdom from lurking threats. A charming book, and one I had no trouble following despite never had read any of the other books in the series. It's for preteens, but it isn't "dumbed down" like some other books I have read in this genre. I only had two small nits: one, is that the lovey-dovey talk between Grassina and her true love area a bit much. Yes, I know they are under a spell -- it was still overboard. Also, connected with that, it would have been more believable if Grassina were 15 or 16, not 13. At 13, boys and girls are just getting over the notion that the opposite sex has cooties. Otherwise, it was very sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Salamander Spell.