Leann Maxwell's Reviews > What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Sep 06, 11

Read in September, 2011

After WWII, Evie, her beautiful mother, and new step-father have a semi-happy life in New York until her step-father takes the family on a trip to Florida in an attempt to escape his past. In Palm Beach, they encounter a military buddy who initiates a relationship with Evie and her mother. Evie soon falls head over heels in love and totally misses what is really happening to her family. When the friend is found dead after a hurricane boating accident, Evie is torn between believing her parents side of the story and the circumstantial evidence the police uncover.

The book is very engaging and well-written. Blundell's early descriptions of Evie make her decisions at the end of the book believable. This is a girl who is so intent on having a happy family that includes a father she is willing to do just about anything. What I struggle with a bit is how quickly she falls in love. I guess I just don't remember how it feels to be 16 and in love for the first time (that is so sad!). The ending, while satisfying, also left me wondering what would happen next. I guess that is the mark of a good YA novel--it leaves room for the teen character to continue the story of their life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Saw and How I Lied.