April Helms's Reviews > Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature

Apr 20, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction
Recommended for: young adults (11+) and adults
Read in April, 2008

Mena finds herself an exile in her church, her school and even at home when an incident she is behind brings hefty lawsuits against all those entities. Even the knowledge that what she did was the right thing is cold consolation when her former friends shun her. A bigger battle, however, is brewing in her high school -- evolution vs. creationism -- and Mena unwittingly gets thrust in the center. Brande's book brings up some interesting issues and counterissues in this very current hot topic, as well as other issues of religious ideals vs. society mores. There are two flaws, though. One is it comes dangerously close to saying Christians= blind bigots (except Mena) and non-Christians= enlightened. There is another Christian character that goes counter to this, but that doesn't come out almost until the book's end. I hold no particular faith, but I found myself wishing there was another Christian character, a peer of Mena's -- one who also disagreed with Mena's former friends -- who could have acted as a bit of a counterbalance. Another detail that disturbed me was that the church was sued and the families involved in ****spoiler**** were sued, but the school distict wasn't held accountable. I don't want to give away too much, but it struck me that the school was just as culpable as the other entities, if not *more* so.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature.